Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mike Figgis Speaks Truth

I recently came across a couple blog posts by director Mike Figgis and I thought I'd share what I discovered. Apparently Figgis was asked to be a guest blogger on FilmInFocus and the results are quite interesting.

You can read his "Love Live Long" post in its entirety here, but I want to specifically highlight the part I find most on point given the nature of cinema today:

"Plot has killed script. Back in the day plot was a slightly sketchy framework for character development. The scripts I read now, the characters are there to supply the plot. It's all to do with a misguided idea that the function of cinema is somehow to be realistic. I think the function of cinema is to be poetic and magic and original."

Right on, Mr. Figgis. I agree wholeheartedly.

No comments: